WOOD® MAGAZINE SPECIFICATIONS
Effective May 2006 issue
Method of printing: Web offset
Trim size: Full page -- 8 3/8" x 10 7/8"
Binding method: Perfect Bound
Advertising Mechanical Requirements
Note. On all bleed material, keep live matter 3/8" inside all four sides to allow for trimming and variations in folding and binding. On spreads, keep live matter 1/4" from each side of center line or 1/2" across gutter to prevent hiding live matter in binding. Specifications for Web Offset Publications (SWOP Standards) apply.
Retention of Material. Material for all processes held one year then destroyed, unless otherwise notified.
Black and 1-Color. The second color of a black and one-color unit should be a process color or a color that is separated into process colors in the supplied material to simulate the desired color. If a non-process (match) color is required a representative should be contacted for rate and availability information.
Send Materials to:
Meredith Image Center
WOOD Magazine (Issue/Date)
Attn: Jill Fehrer
1716 Locust Street LS013
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
WOOD Digital Advertising Specifications
Open application files or file formats not listed under the “file formats” heading will not be accepted unless prior approval has been granted by your Protection Traffic Supervisor.
Instructions and tools required to create a PDF are available – Please contact your Production Traffic Supervisor.
Note: For ads that require type changes such as key-codes, addresses, phone numbers, etc., a complete new file and corresponding color contract proof is required to show these changes.
• CT/LW (HC files are not acceptable)
Raster (DCS2, Tiff/IT-P1, CT/LW)
• 2400 DPI
• Compression preferred or JPEG-Maximum Quality
• LW files – 72 resolution (dot per mm) or minimum 2000 dpi
• CT files – 12 resolution (dots per mm) or 300dpi at 100% size
Vector (PDF/X-1A, PDF)
• 300 dpi
• CD-Rom (created using ISO-9660)
• DVD (created using ISO-9660)
• Digital FTP (Please contact your Production Traffic Supervisor for FTP site instructions)
Supply a minimum of one composite SWOP certified proof for color
• Proof must be made from supplied file
• Proof must be 100% of size.
• Proof must be SWOP certified.
-For an up-to-date list of SWOP approved color proofs, please visit: www.swop.org/certification.html
• Color bars are required on all analog or digital halftone proofs. Color bars should include:
-SWOP color bars at 100% size as found on SWOP website (above)
-A solid and 25%, 50% and 75% tints of each process color
-At least one gray balance patch (cyan-50%, magenta and yellow 39%)
-Two-color overprints at 25%, 50% and 75% are also recommended.
-The color bar can be a GCA/GATF Proof Comparator, or a GATF/SWOP Proofing Bar or digital equivalent.
• Proof must indicate the proofing product or system used, prepress supplier contacts and information showing conformance to the manufacturer’s Application Data.
• Ad should be proofed on Publication grade stock unless proper printer stock is known at the time of proofing.
• Proofing systems requiring line screen-use 133 line
If the above guidelines are not met, the color and quality of print reproduction may vary. Proofs that are not SWOP compliant will be referenced for content only. Meredith will try to achieve a reasonable match to the supplied proof.
• Single page ads should be built to 100% trim size. If ad bleeds, extend bleed a minimum of 1/8" beyond trim.
• Partial page ads should be built to 100% of their actual trim size. If ad bleeds, extend bleed a minimum of 1/8" beyond trim.
• All non-bleed ads should be built to 100% of the non-bleed specs.
• Standard trim, bleed and center narks should be included but not in the “live” image area or “bleed” area.
• Spread ads: keep live matter 1/4" away from each side of center or 1/2" across the gutter. For spread ads with a headline crossing over the gutter, contact production department if the visual spacing between words or letter is critical.
• All elements must be placed at 100% of size.
• Do not apply style attributes to basic fonts.
• Include and/or embed all fonts, images/scans, logos and artwork.
• Font information should include manufacturer, font name and version. Multiple Master fonts will not be accepted. True Type fonts are not recommended and may cause unexpected reproduction problems on press.
• Do not nest EPS files in other EPS files.
• Use of illegal characters in file names will not be accepted (example: &, /, -, ~, %, (, ), #, ‘, $, etc or anything after the extension)
• On 4/C ads, Pantone colors and other spot colors must be converted to CMYK.
• Four color solids should not exceed SWOP density of 300%.
• 100% black elements should either be knocked out & trapped or overprint using 100% K and 60% C to create a rich black.
• Color type, reverse type and/or line art should not be less than .007 at the thinnest part of the character. Single color type should be no less than .004 at the thinnest part of the character.
Retention of Materials:
Materials for all processes will be held for one year then destroyed, unless otherwise notified.
Meredith Corporation is a member of the DDAP Association and subscribers to and supports all digital exchange standards developed by CGATS/SC6, the accredited graphic arts standards committee.
© Meredith Corporation 2003