NOTE: When establishing an account please observe the Minimum Requirements to avoid processing errors.
- Create an account if you have not already done so.
- Choose: "Send My Ad".
- Choose Publication: Traditional Home
- Choose Issue: i.e. March
- Send Color Proofs to Angela Schoop at the address below.
For Materials Extensions or Production Questions Contact:
Meredith Content Center
1716 Locust Street, LS227
Des Moines, IA 50309
DIGITAL AD SPECS
• Preferred format: PDF/X-1A
• Acceptable format: PDF
For instructions on how to create a PDF go to – https://meredith.sendmyad.com
under HOME - select DASHBOARD – select VIEW FAQs.
File Resolution Requirements:
• Vector (PDF/X-1A, PDF)
• 300 dpi/2400 dpi for Line Work
Retention of Materials:
Materials for all processes will be held for one year then destroyed, unless
File Submission Site:
Submit FILES via Meredith Ad Express
To Join go to: https://meredith.sendmyad.com
• Foxfire browser is recommended.
• When establishing an account please observe the Minimum Requirements to
avoid processing errors.
- Create an account, if not already established.
- Choose: "Send My Ad"
- Choose the publication: i.e. More Magazine
- Choose the issue: i.e. October or Fall
Live Matter Requirements:
• Set the offset setting to .167 when creating PDF/X-1A files so the
standard trim, bleed and center marks are included but not in the
“live” image area or “bleed” area.
• Single page ads should be built to 100% trim size with the marks &
bleeds option turned on. If ad bleeds, extend bleed a minimum of
1/8” beyond trim. Keep live matter in a minimum of 1/4” inside trim
• Partial page ads should be build to 100% of their actual trim size
with the marks & bleeds option turned on. If ad bleeds, extend
bleed a minimum of 1/8” beyond trim. Keep live matter a minimum
of 1/4” inside trim dimensions.
• All non-bleeds ads should be built to 100% of the non-bleed specs.
• All Bleed Ads – Keep live matter a minimum of 3/8” inside the
bleed dimensions on all four sides.
• Spread Ads: Keep live matter 1/2" away from either side of center
or 1/2” total across the gutter. For spread ads with a headline
crossing over the gutter, contact production department if the
visual spacing between words or letter is critical.
NOTE: New files are required for ads that need type changes such as key-codes, addresses,
phone numbers, etc. A corresponding color contract proof is required to show these
File specifications/General Guidelines:
• Do not apply style attributes to basic fonts.
• Include and/or embed all fonts, images/scans, logos and artwork.
• Do not nest PDF files in other PDF files.
• Do not nest EPS files in other EPS files.
• Use of illegal characters in file names will not be accepted.
(example: &,/,-,~,%, (,) #, ‘, $ etc or anything after the extension).
• Limit File Name to 24 characters INCLUDING the extension.
• On 4/C ads, Pantone colors, other spot colors, and non-CMYK
elements must be converted to CMYK.
• Four color solids should not exceed SWOP density of 300%.
• To create a rich black use 100% K and 60% C.
• Color type, reverse type and/or line art should not be less than
.007 at the thinnest part of the character. Single color type should
be no less than .004 at the thinnest part of the character.
• To avoid low-res (soft type) or 4/c black type, type should be built
in Quark, Indesign or Illustrator and not within Photoshop.
• Reverse type should use a dominant color (usually 70% or more)
for the shape of the letters. Where practical and not detrimental to
the appearance of the job, make the type in the subordinate colors
slightly larger to minimize register problems on the production
• All supplied materials intended for use in Meredith publications
must be properly trapped and, when possible, image trapping
should be represented in the accompanying SWOP proofs.
Better Homes & Gardens, Ladies Home Journal & More magazines will
require a 5% minimum dot to print the highlight areas & square-up on
edges. Fade off dot is 3%
Advertiser understands that if they do not supply a
SWOP certified color proof with color bars or if they supply a color laser proof that
Meredith cannot guarantee a color match to the supplied proof and will print to the
• Supply a minimum of TWO composite SWOP certified proofs for
color – American Baby requires THREE.
• Proofs must be made from supplied file.
• Proofs must be 100% of size.
• Proofs must be SWOP certified.
• For an up-to-date list of SWOP approved color proofs, please visit:
• Color bars are required on all analog or digital halftone proofs.
• Color bars should be include:
- SWOP color bars at 100% size as found on SWOP website
- A solid and 25%, 50% and 75% tints of each process color.
- Solid overprint.
- At least one gray balance patch (cyan-50%, magenta and
- Two-color overprints at 25%, 50% and 75% as also
- The color bar can be a GCA/GATF Proof Comparator, or a
GATF/SWOP Proofing Bar or digital equivalent.
• Proofs must indicate the proofing product or system used,
prepress supplier contacts and information showing conformance
to the Manufacturer’s Application Data.
• Ad should be proofed on Publication grade stock except for More,
Traditional Home, Special Interest Magazine Bookazines and
commercial work which should be proofed on Commercial grade
• Proofing systems requiring line screens:
- Publication Grade Stock – use 133 line
- Commercial Grade Stock use 150 line
If the above guidelines are not met, the color and quality of print
reproduction may vary. Proofs that are not SWOP compliant will be
referenced for content only. Meredith will try to achieve a reasonable match
to the supplied proof.
Meredith Corporation is a member of DDAP Association and
subscribers to and supports all digital exchange standards developed
by CGATS/SC6, the accredited graphic arts standards committee.