Terms of Service Agreement
Notice of Important Changes to Meredith Visitor Agreement – Effective March 16, 2017
Dear Meredith Website User:
We are continuously growing and improving our family of sites and services to help you make the best of your food, family, lifestyle and home. To support the changes to our sites and services, we’ve substantially revised and updated our Terms of Service Agreement (also called our “Visitor Agreement”) and these changes will become effective on March 16, 2017. We have summarized some of the key changes below for your convenience, but we encourage you to review the full, updated version here. By using our sites or services that display a link to our updated Terms of Service Agreement after March 16, 2017, you agree to our updated Terms of Service Agreement.
- Arbitration. We’ve added an arbitration agreement that requires most disputes with our users to be resolved on an individual basis and through binding arbitration instead of in court. Arbitration is a faster and more efficient way to resolve legal disputes, and it provides a good alternative to state or federal courts, where the process could take months or even years. However, if you prefer to opt-out of the arbitration agreement, you can do so easily within 30 days of becoming subject to our updated Terms of Service Agreement. Just follow the simple opt-out instructions in Section 15.6.
- E-commerce. Because we’ve expanded the e-commerce features of our services, we’ve added terms that govern orders, payments, cancellations and other aspects of transactions with our sites.
- Ratings and Reviews. We’ve added terms to help ensure the user ratings and reviews you may see on our services are authentic and helpful to you, such as rules against posting reviews in exchange for payments or other benefits.
- Electronic Communications. We want to keep up with technology and communicate with you in the most efficient and practical way, so we’ve clarified that we may communicate and transact with you electronically and that our electronic communications will have the same contractual and legal effect as if they were made “in writing.”
- Additional Terms. Our updated Agreement explains that you may be provided with additional site-specific terms and policies when you visit our sites, and that those additional terms are considered part of our Terms of Service Agreement. Also, the updates explain that certain tools, features or offerings on our sites are provided by third-parties whose terms of service may differ from ours.
- Other Changes. We reorganized, clarified or otherwise changed many other things about our Terms of Service Agreement with the goal of letting you know what to expect when using our sites and creating terms that are fair both to you and to us. We encourage you to read the full version of our updated Terms of Service here.
If you have questions about our updated Terms of Service Agreement, please contact us at email@example.com. Until March 16, 2017, our current Visitor Agreement posted below will continue to govern.
Sincerely, The Meredith Team
Meredith Corporation Visitor Agreement
Effective Until March 16, 2017
This website is provided to you by the Meredith Corporation ("we" or "us"). Please take a moment to read this Visitor Agreement. By using this website, you accept this Visitor Agreement. Our sites are always evolving; please be aware that we may change this Visitor Agreement from time to time. By continuing to use this site after we post any such changes, you accept this Visitor Agreement, as modified.
Our Visitor Agreement addresses the following topics:
Our Visitor Agreement is intended to make our sites safe and fun for everybody. We invite you to bring to our attention any content on our sites you believe to be inaccurate, inappropriate or in violation of these rules. Please write to us at BHGedit@meredith.com.
Use common sense when you use our and anybody else's websites. The content that appears on our sites is for informational purposes only. Despite our efforts to provide useful and accurate information, errors may appear from time to time. Some of the content you find on our sites was not created, edited, or posted by us (for example, discussion group postings). The materials posted by third parties on our sites represent the views of such third parties and are not endorsed by us, nor do we guarantee the accuracy of any posting. Though we hope the advertisers, merchants and users you meet through our sites treat you honorably and fairly, we can't vouch for the information, goods, or services they offer. Before you act on information you've found on or through any of our sites, confirm any facts that are important to your decision. We encourage you to exercise a healthy skepticism and good judgment.
Registration. To obtain access to certain Meredith services, you will be given an opportunity to register with our site. As part of the registration process, you will select a password. You agree that the information you supply during that registration process will be accurate and complete and that you will not register under the name of, nor attempt to enter any of our sites under the name of, another person. You will be responsible for preserving the confidentiality of your password and for all actions of persons accessing any of our sites through any password assigned to you. You will notify us at onlineeditor at meredith.com of any known or suspected unauthorized use of your account.
Submissions and Messages. Responsibility for what is posted in the discussion groups or other public forums on our sites lies with each user--you alone are responsible for the content of your messages, and the consequences of any such messages. You agree not to use our sites to send or submit materials:
a. that are false, inaccurate or misleading;
b. that infringe any third party's copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights or rights of publicity or privacy;
c. that violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation (including without limitation those governing export control, consumer protection, unfair competition, anti-discrimination and false advertising);
d. that are libelous, threatening or harassing;
e. that are obscene or contain any kind of pornography;
f. that contain any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or personal information;
g. that might create liability for us or might cause us to lose (in whole or in part) the services of our Internet service providers or other suppliers;
h. that interfere with the ability of others to enjoy our site;
i. that impersonate any other person or entity, whether actual or fictitious, including impersonating an employee or consultant of Meredith Corporation;
j. that link to or include descriptions of goods or services that: (i) are prohibited under this Agreement; or (ii) you do not have a right to link to or include;
k. that contain any content that you do not have the right to make available under any law or any contractual or fiduciary relationship (such as inside information and confidential information learned under a non-disclosure agreement); or
l. that instigate or encourage others to commit illegal activities or cause injury or property damage to any person.
That said, we are most often a passive conduit for the information users submit. We cannot and do not review every submission a user may make. We neither endorse nor guarantee the accuracy or propriety of any submission. We do, however, reserve the right, but do not assume the obligation, to restrict or prohibit your use of our sites if we believe you are violating any of the terms of this Visitor Agreement and to remove, edit, or relocate any submission as we see fit, whether for legal or other reasons.
We want users to feel free to share their email addresses in public posting areas. Accordingly, you may not use any other user's information, personal or otherwise, for any commercial purpose, to send chain letters, junk mail, "spam," or other bulk communications or for developing lists. Any such use by you will be a violation of this Visitor Agreement. Your use of the sites is limited to personal, non-commercial purposes. Your commercial exploitation of the sites is strictly prohibited, unless we grant prior written permission.
You acknowledge that:
1. We permit access to content that is protected by copyrights, trademarks and other intellectual and proprietary rights ("Rights") and;
2. This Visitor Agreement and applicable copyright, trademark and other laws govern your use of such content.
Our Limited License to You. You are free to display and print for your personal, non-commercial use information you receive through our sites. You may not reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use any of the materials without the prior written consent of the Rights holder. Requests for permission to reproduce, distribute or otherwise use materials found on our sites should be made to eReprints at meredith.com. The burden of determining whether any content on our sites is or is not protected by Rights rests with you.
Links. You are free to encourage others to access the information on our sites. We welcome links to our sites. You are free to establish a hypertext link to any of our sites so long as the link does not state or imply any sponsorship or endorsement of your site by us or make use of a logo without written consent of the logo owner.
No Framing. Without our prior written consent, you may not frame, or in-line link to, any of the content of our sites, or incorporate into any other website or service any of our intellectual property.
Marks. We do not want anyone to be confused about which materials and services are provided by us and which are not. You may not use any mark appearing on our sites without the prior written consent of the owner of the mark. Better Homes and Gardens and all associated logos are marks owned by Meredith Corporation.
Your License to Us. By submitting material to or through our sites, you grant us and our partners, agents, affiliates and service providers (collectively, "Affiliates"), the non-exclusive right to reproduce, modify and distribute such material as we see fit for any purpose in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You agree that we and our Affiliates may identify you as the author of any of your postings by name, email address or screen name as we see appropriate. You also permit any other user to access, display, and print such content for personal use. By submitting material to us, you are representing that such material does not violate or infringe any rights of any third party, including, but not limited to, copyright, trademark and other proprietary rights. If any third-party content is included in any materials that you submit, you must obtain permission from the content owner and attribute such content to the owner.
Notice of Copyright Infringement. If you are an owner of intellectual property who believes your intellectual property has been improperly posted or distributed via this site, please notify us by sending an email to dmcanotice at meredith.com or by sending a notice by U.S. Mail to: John S. Zieser at Meredith Corporation, 1716 Locust Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309. Please note that we may access and disclose your personally identifiable information in order to address any infringement claim.
Indemnity. You agree to hold us and our affiliates, agents and licensors harmless from any claim that may arise from your use of any of our sites.
As a convenience to you, we may provide links to third-party websites. Those websites and the parties that control them are beyond our control. We make no representations as to the content, quality, suitability, functionality or legality of any sites to which we may provide links, and you hereby waive any claim you might have against us with respect to such sites and their operators. You may order services or merchandise through links on our sites from persons not affiliated with us. All matters concerning such merchandise or services, including, but not limited to, purchase terms, payment terms, warranties, guarantees, maintenance and delivery, are solely between you and the merchants with whom you chose to do business. We make no warranties or representations whatsoever with regard to any goods or services provided by those merchants. You will not consider us - nor will we be deemed - a party to such transactions, whether or not we may have received some form of remuneration in connection with the transaction. We will not be liable for any costs or damages arising out of any transaction (whether directly or indirectly) between you and any other person or entity.
YOU AGREE THAT USE OF THE SITES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. OUR SITES ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. MEREDITH CORPORATION, ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS AND LICENSORS CANNOT AND DO NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, CURRENTNESS, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OF THE INFORMATION, MATERIALS AND SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH OUR SITES. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE OUR SITES TO BE ERROR-FREE, SECURE, CONTINUOUSLY AVAILABLE OR FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
YOU ALSO AGREE THAT IF YOU RELY ON ANY DATA OR INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH OUR SITES, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR LOSS THAT RESULTS FROM YOUR USE OF ANY MATERIAL AND/OR DATA.
OUR SITES ARE PROVIDED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT NEITHER MEREDITH CORPORATION NOR ITS USERS, WHILE SUCH USERS ARE PARTICIPATING IN THE SITES, ARE ENGAGED IN RENDERING LEGAL, MEDICAL, COUNSELING OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OR ADVICE. OUR SITES ARE NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OR ADVICE.
MEREDITH CORPORATION, ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS, AND LICENSORS MAKE NO WARRANTY REGARDING ANY GOODS OR SERVICES REFERRED TO, ADVERTISED ON, OR OBTAINED THROUGH OUR SITES, OTHER THAN THOSE EXPRESS WARRANTIES MEREDITH CORPORATION ITSELF SPECIFICALLY MAKES ON ANY MEREDITH CORPORATION ORDER FORM.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL MEREDITH CORPORATION OR ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS OR LICENSORS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF ANY OF OUR SITES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR SIMILAR DAMAGES, EVEN IF WE ARE ADVISED BEFOREHAND OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. YOU AGREE THAT THE LIABILITY OF MEREDITH CORPORATION, ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS AND LICENSORS, IF ANY, ARISING OUT OF ANY KIND OF LEGAL CLAIM IN ANY WAY CONNECTED TO ANY OF OUR SITES WILL NOT EXCEED THE AMOUNT YOU PAID TO US TO USE THE SITES. BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN CATEGORIES OF DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE LIABILITY OF MEREDITH CORPORATION, ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS AND LICENSORS IS LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY SUCH STATE LAW.
We may discontinue, change, suspend, or restrict access to any of our sites or any portion of our sites at any time without liability to you or any third party.
This site is controlled and operated by Meredith Corporation from the state of Iowa in the United States of America. Those who choose to access our site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. This Visitor Agreement constitutes an agreement made in, and to be construed in accordance with the laws of, the State of Iowa without regard to its conflict of law provisions. By using this site, you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts in Polk County, Iowa, in all disputes arising out of or relating to this agreement or any of our sites.
You agree not take any legal action against us that relates to or arises out of any of our websites without first (a) sending us, via registered mail or national overnight courier service, a detailed written description of the facts and law out of which your claim arises; and (b) negotiating with us, in good faith, for not less 30 days, toward resolution of the dispute. All correspondence concerning such dispute must be sent to dispute at meredith.com, or such other designee as Meredith may identify from time to time.
In the event that any provision of this Visitor Agreement conflicts with the law under which this Visitor Agreement is to be construed or if any provision is held invalid by a court with jurisdiction over the parties to the Visitor Agreement, such provision will be restated to reflect as nearly as possible the original intentions of the parties in accordance with applicable law, and the remainder of this Visitor Agreement will remain in full force and effect. If either party fails to insist upon or enforce strict performance by the other party of any provision of the Visitor Agreement, or to exercise any right under the Visitor Agreement, such a failure will not be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of such party's right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
This Visitor Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between the parties as to the subject matter hereof, and supersedes all prior agreements and understandings relating to such subject matter.
Contents on this site are copyright 1996-2003 by Meredith Corporation or its affiliates or licensors. Unauthorized distribution or reproduction is forbidden. If you have questions or wish to obtain more information from or about Meredith Corporation, please visit meredith.com.
Meredith Women's Network | © Copyright 2017, Meredith Corporation.
Effective Date: March 16, 2017
PLEASE READ THIS TERMS AND CONDITIONS AGREEMENT ("AGREEMENT") CAREFULLY. THIS AGREEMENT IS A LEGAL CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU ("USER") AND MEREDITH CORPORATION ("MEREDITH," "COMPANY," "WE," OR "US").
SECTION 15 OF THIS AGREEMENT IS AN ARBITRATION CLAUSE THAT REQUIRES MOST DISPUTES BETWEEN US TO BE RESOLVED THROUGH BINDING AND FINAL ARBITRATION INSTEAD OF IN COURT. SEE SECTION 15 FOR MORE INFORMATION REGARDING THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE, AND HOW TO OPT OUT.
By accessing or using any website with an authorized link to this Agreement ("Website"), registering an account or accessing or using any content, information, services, features or resources available or enabled via the Website (collectively with the Website, the "Services"), clicking on a button or taking another action to signify your acceptance of this Agreement, you: (1) agree to be bound by this Agreement and any future amendments and additions to this Agreement as published through the Services; (2) represent you are of legal age in your jurisdiction of residence to form a binding contract; and (3) represent that you have the authority to enter into this Agreement personally and, if applicable, on behalf of any company, organization or other legal entity on whose behalf you use the Services. Except as otherwise provided herein, if you do not agree to be bound by this Agreement, you may not access or use the Services.
Your use of the Services is also subject to any additional terms, conditions and policies that we separately post on the Services ("Supplemental Terms") which are incorporated by reference into this Agreement. Some of the specialized features and tools accessible through our Services are provided by third-party companies pursuant to their own separate Terms of Service (“Third-Party Terms”) that differ from ours. By using such third-party features and tools, you agree that your relationships with the third-party service providers will be governed by the applicable Third-Party Terms.
Subject to Section 15.9 of this Agreement, Meredith reserves the right to modify this Agreement or its policies relating to the Services at any time, effective upon posting of an updated version of this Agreement or any applicable Supplemental Terms on the applicable Services. You should regularly review this Agreement, as your continued use of the Services after any such changes constitutes your agreement to such changes.
1. Registration. When registering an account for the Services ("Account"), you agree to provide only true, accurate, current and complete information requested by the registration form (the "Registration Data") and to promptly update the Registration Data thereafter as necessary. You represent that you are not barred from using the Services under any applicable law and that you will be responsible for all activities that occur under your Account. You agree to monitor your Account to restrict its use by minors and other unauthorized users and agree not to share your Account or password with anyone. You further agree to notify Meredith immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or any other breach of the security of your Account and to exit from your Account at the end of each session. You agree not to create an Account using a false identity or alias or if you previously have been banned from using any of the Services. You further agree that you will not maintain more than one Account for the same Meredith service at any given time. Meredith reserves the right to remove or reclaim any usernames at any time and for any reason. You acknowledge and agree that you have no ownership or other property interest in your Account and that all rights in and to your Account are owned by and inure to the benefit of Meredith.
2. Order Process.
2.1 Order Acceptance. Each part of any order that you submit to Meredith constitutes an offer to purchase. If you do not receive a message from Meredith confirming receipt of your order, please contact our Customer Service department before re-entering your order. Meredith's confirmation of receipt of your order does not constitute Meredith's acceptance of your order. Meredith is only deemed to have accepted your order once (i) the product(s) you ordered (each, a "Product") have been shipped (if the Product is a one-time order) or (ii) the initial Product for a subscription has been delivered (if the Product is subject to a subscription for the delivery of periodicals or other tangible goods) or (iii) you are granted access to the paid content or resources of a Product consisting of a digital subscription or membership).
2.2 Order Issues. Although we strive to accept all valid orders, Meredith reserves the right to deny any order for any reason, including if: (i) we discover an error in pricing and/or other information about the Product or receive insufficient or erroneous billing, payment, and/or shipping information, (ii) we suspect an order has been placed using stolen payment card information or otherwise appears to be connected to fraud, or (iii) the ordered Product is unavailable due to discontinuance or otherwise. We may also refuse any order that is connected with a previous payment dispute.
2.3 Order Cancellation. If any Product is discontinued or otherwise becomes unavailable, Meredith reserves the right to (i) cancel your order and provide you a refund for the amount paid for the Product (if the Product is a one-time order), (ii) substitute the Product with a similar Product (if the Product is subject to a subscription) or (iii) issue you a pro rata refund.
2.4 Restrictions on Resale. To protect the intellectual property rights of Meredith and its licensors and suppliers, any resale of Products for personal and/or business profit is strictly prohibited. Meredith reserves the right to decline any order that we deem to possess characteristics of reselling.
3. Fees and Purchase Terms.
3.1 Payment. You agree to pay all fees or charges to your Account in accordance with the fees, charges and billing terms in effect at the time a fee or charge is due and payable. You also agree to pay all applicable taxes. You must provide Meredith with valid payment information in connection with your orders. By providing Meredith with your payment information, you agree that (i) Meredith is authorized to immediately invoice your Account for all fees and charges due and payable to Meredith hereunder, (ii) Meredith is authorized to share any payment information and instructions required to complete the payment transactions with its third-party payment service providers (e.g., credit card transaction processing, merchant settlement, and related services), and (iii) no additional notice or consent is required for the foregoing authorizations. You agree to immediately notify Meredith of any change in your payment information. Meredith reserves the right at any time to change its prices and billing methods. If payment cannot be charged to your payment card or your payment is returned for any reason, Meredith reserves the right to either suspend or terminate your access to the upaid-for services.
3.2 Automatic Renewal. If your order is subject to automatic renewal, you will be notified during the order process. The automatic renewal and cancellation terms provided during the order process are hereby incorporated into this Agreement.
3.3 Refunds. Except as set forth in Section 2.3 or in any separate refund policy posted on the Services, all fees are non-refundable.
3.4 Discounts, Promo Codes and Premium Offers. We may, in our sole discretion, create discounts and promotional codes that may be redeemed for credit in your Account, or other features or benefits, subject to any additional terms that we establish on a per promotional code basis ("Promo Codes"). Promo Codes may only be used once per person. Only Promo Codes sent to you through official Meredith communications channels are valid. You agree that Promo Codes: (i) must be used for the intended audience and purpose, and in a lawful manner; (ii) may not be duplicated, sold, or transferred in any manner, or made available to the general public (whether posted to a public forum or otherwise), unless expressly permitted by us; (iii) may be disabled by us at any time for any reason without liability to us; (iv) may only be used pursuant to the specific terms that we establish for such Promo Code; (v) are not redeemable for cash; and (vi) may expire prior to your use. From time to time, we may offer special promotions (such as free premiums with purchase), associated with some of our products or Services. All promotional offers, inlcuding premium offers, may be discontinued at any time, without prior notice, at our discretion and are only available while supplies last or for the duration noted. Unless otherwise stated in the offer, shipment of premium items may take 6-12 weeks and shipping fees may apply.
4. User Content.
4.1 Responsible Party for Content. You acknowledge that all content is the sole responsibility of the party from whom such content originated. This means that each User is entirely responsible for all content that that User makes available through the Services, or otherwise provided to Meredith, whether online or offline and whether or not solicited by Meredith ("User Content"). Meredith has no obligation to pre-screen any content. You use all User Content and interact with other Users at your own risk. Without limiting the foregoing, Meredith reserves the right in its sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, or remove any content. Meredith shall have the right to remove any content that violates this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable.
4.2 Ownership of Your Content. Meredith does not claim ownership of any User Content you make available on the Services ("Your Content"). However, when you as a User post or publish Your Content on or in the Services, you represent that you have all of the necessary rights to grant Meredith the license set forth in Section 4.3. Except with respect to Your Content, you agree that you have no right or title in or to any content that appears on or in the Services.
4.3 License to Your Content. Subject to any applicable Account settings that you select, you grant Meredith, and anyone authorized by Meredith, an irrevocable, nonexclusive, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free right and license to use, copy, display, publicly perform, transmit, modify, publish, distribute, make derivative works of, sublicense, and otherwise commercially and non-commercially exploit and use Your Content (in whole or in part) in any manner or medium now existing or hereafter developed (including print and electronic storage) and for any purpose. The foregoing grant includes the right to exploit any proprietary rights in Your Content, including, but not limited to, under copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent or other intellectual property laws that exist in any relevant jurisdiction. In connection with the exercise of these rights, you grant Meredith, and anyone authorized by Meredith, the right to identify you as the author of Your Content by name, email address or screen name, as we deem appropriate. You will not receive any compensation of any kind for the use of Your Content. Note that other Users may search for, see, use, modify and reproduce any of Your Content that you submit to any "public" area of the Services.
4.4 Ratings and Reviews. Ratings and reviews posted by Users on our Services are User Content that is not endorsed by Meredith and does not represent the views of Meredith. Meredith does not assume liability for ratings and reviews or for any claims for economic loss resulting from such ratings and reviews. Because we expect Users to maintain a high level of integrity with respect to ratings and reviews posted through the Services, you agree: (i) to base any rating or review you post only on your first-hand experience with the applicable business, product, or service; (ii) you will not provide a rating or review for any business, product, or service with respect to which you have a competitive, ownership or other economic interest, employment relationship or other affiliation; (iii) you will not submit a rating or review in exchange for payment or other benefits from any individual or entity; and (iv) your review will comply with the terms of this Agreement. If we determine, in our sole discretion, that any rating or review could diminish the integrity of the ratings and reviews, we may exclude such User Content without notice.
4.5 Other Restrictions on User Conduct. You agree not to use the Services for any purpose prohibited by this Agreement or by applicable law. You shall not (and shall not permit any third-party to) (a) take any action or (b) make available any content on or through the Services that: (i) infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity or other right of any person or entity; (ii) is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortious, obscene, offensive, or profane; (iii) constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail; (iv) involves commercial activities and/or sales without Meredith's prior written consent, such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, or pyramid schemes; or (v) impersonates any person or entity, including any employee or representative of Meredith.
5. Feedback. You agree that your submission of any ideas, suggestions, documents, and/or proposals to Meredith ("Feedback") is at your own risk and that Meredith has no obligations with respect to such Feedback. You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to submit the Feedback. You hereby grant to Meredith the right to use any Feedback in any way at any time without any additional approval or compensation.
6. Ownership of and License to Use Meredith Properties.
6.1 Use of the Services. Except with respect to User Content, Meredith and its suppliers own all rights, title and interest in the Services. The Services are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws throughout the world. Subject to this Agreement, Meredith grants you a limited license to use the Services solely for your personal non-commercial purposes. Any future release, update or other addition to the Services shall be subject to this Agreement. Meredith, its suppliers and service providers reserve all rights not granted in this Agreement.
6.2 Trademarks. Meredith's stylized name and other related graphics, logos, service marks and trade names used on or in connection with the Services are the trademarks of Meredith and may not be used without permission in connection with any third-party products or services. Other trademarks, service marks and trade names that may appear on or in the Services are the property of their respective owners. You will not remove, alter or obscure any copyright notice, trademark, service mark or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying the Services.
7. Restrictions on Use of Services. The rights granted to you in this Agreement are subject to the following restrictions: (a) you shall not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, reproduce, distribute, host or otherwise commercially exploit the Services or any portion of the Services; (b) you shall not frame or use framing techniques to enclose any trademark, logo or Services (including images, text, page layout or form) of Meredith; (c) you shall not use any metatags or other "hidden text" using Meredith's name or trademarks; (d) you shall not modify, translate, adapt, merge, make derivative works of, disassemble, decompile, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of the Services except to the extent the foregoing restrictions are expressly prohibited by applicable law; (e) you shall not use any manual or automated software, devices or other processes (including but not limited to spiders, robots, scrapers, crawlers, avatars, data mining tools or the like) to "scrape" or download data from the Services (except that we grant the operators of public search engines revocable permission to use spiders to copy materials from the Website for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials); (f) you shall not access the Services to build a similar or competitive website, application or service; (g) except as expressly stated herein, no part of the Services may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means; (h) you shall not remove or destroy any copyright notices or other proprietary markings contained on or in the Services; (i) you shall not interfere with or attempt to interfere with the proper functioning of the Services or use the Services in any way not expressly permitted by this Agreement; and (j) you shall not attempt to harm our Services, including but not limited to, by violating or attempting to violate any related security features, introducing viruses, worms, or similar harmful code into the Services, or interfering or attempting to interfere with use of the Services by any other user, host or network, including by means of overloading, "flooding," "spamming," "mail bombing", or "crashing" the Services. Any unauthorized use of the Services terminates the licenses granted by Meredith pursuant to this Agreement.
8. Third-Party Links. The Services may contain links to third-party services such as third party websites, applications, or ads ("Third-Party Links"). When you click on such a link, we will not warn you that you have left the Services. Meredith does not control and is not responsible for Third-Party Links. Meredith provides these Third-Party Links only as a convenience and does not review, approve, monitor, endorse, warrant, or make any representations with respect to them, or any content, products or services accessible through such links. Your use of all Third-Party Links is at your own risk.
9. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold Meredith, its corporate parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, partners and licensors of each (collectively, the "Meredith Parties") harmless from any damages, losses, costs, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) relating to or arising out of any claims concerning: (a) Your Content; (b) your misuse of the Services; (c) your violation of this Agreement; (d) your violation of any rights of another party, including any Users; or (e) your violation of any applicable laws, rules or regulations. Meredith reserves the right, at its own cost, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will fully cooperate with Meredith in asserting any available defenses. This provision does not require you to indemnify any of the Meredith Parties for any unconscionable commercial practice by such party or for such party's negligence, fraud, deception, false promise, misrepresentation or concealment, suppression or omission of any material fact. You agree that the provisions in this section will survive any termination of your Account, this Agreement or your access to the Services.
10. Disclaimer of Warranties and Conditions. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES AND ANY PRODUCTS OFFERED THROUGH THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK, AND THE SERVICES AND ANY PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITH ALL FAULTS. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE MEREDITH PARTIES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS, AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT ARISING FROM USE OF THE SERVICES AND PRODUCTS. MEREDITH PARTIES MAKE NO WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR CONDITION THAT: (1) THE SERVICES OR ANY PRODUCTS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR (2) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE.
IF YOU RELY ON ANY DATA OR INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH OUR PRODUCTS OR SERVICES, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR LOSS THAT RESULTS FROM YOUR USE OF SUCH DATA OR INFORMATION.
OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT MEREDITH AND ITS USERS ARE NOT ENGAGED IN RENDERING LEGAL, MEDICAL, COUNSELING OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OR ADVICE. OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OR ADVICE.
CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MIGHT HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
11. Limitation of Liability.
11.1 Disclaimer of Certain Damages. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BYAPPLICABLE LAW, THE MEREDITH PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS OR REVENUE OR FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES OR COSTS DUE TO LOSS OF DATA, PRODUCTION, OR USE, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION OR PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, WHETHER OR NOT MEREDITH HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
11.2 Cap on Liability. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE TOTAL AGGREGATE AMOUNT THAT THE MEREDITH PARTIES ARE LIABLE TO YOU EXCEED THE GREATER OF (A) THE TOTAL AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID TO MEREDITH BY YOU DURING THE TWELVE-MONTH PERIOD PRIOR TO THE ACT, OMISSION OR OCCURRENCE GIVING RISE TO SUCH LIABILITY, (B) THE REMEDY OR PENALTY IMPOSED BY THE STATUTE OR REGULATION UNDER WHICH SUCH CLAIM ARISES, OR (C) ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100). THE FOREGOING CAP ON LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY OF A MEREDITH PARTY FOR (X) DEATH, TANGIBLE PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY A MEREDITH PARTY'S GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR FOR (Y) ANY INJURY CAUSED BY A MEREDITH PARTY'S FRAUD OR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION.
11.3 User Content and Settings. THE MEREDITH PARTIES ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE TIMELINESS, DELETION, MIS-DELIVERY OR FAILURE TO STORE ANY CONTENT, USER COMMUNICATIONS OR PERSONALIZATION SETTINGS.
11.4 Basis of the Bargain. THE LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN MEREDITH AND YOU.
11.5 Exclusions. THE LAWS OF SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW FOR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU AND YOU MIGHT HAVE OTHER RIGHTS. IN ADDITION, THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMER OF PUNITIVE AND EXEMPLARY DAMAGES SHALL NOT APPLY TO USERS WHO RESIDE IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY.
12. Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement. If you believe content posted on the Services infringes your copyright rights, please provide our Copyright Agent with the following information: (1) an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest; (2) a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed; (3) a description of the location on the Services of the material that you claim is infringing; (4) your address, telephone number and e-mail address; (5) a written statement that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law; and (6) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf. Correspondence to our Copyright Agent regarding notice of claims of copyright infringement should be addressed to: Meredith Corporation, 1716 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA 50309-3023, Attn: General Counsel.
13. Termination. At its sole discretion, Meredith may modify or discontinue the Services, or may modify, suspend or terminate your access to the Services, for any reason, with or without notice to you and without liability to you or any third party. In addition to suspending or terminating your access to the Services, Meredith reserves the right to take appropriate legal action, including without limitation pursuing civil, criminal or injunctive redress. Even after your right to use the Services is terminated, this Agreement will remain enforceable against you and unpaid amounts you owe to Meredith for Products purchased will remain due.
14. International Users. The Services are controlled and offered by Meredith from its facilities in the United States of America. Meredith makes no representations that the Services are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use the Services from other countries do so at their own volition and are responsible for compliance with local law.
15. Dispute Resolution. Please read the following arbitration agreement in this section ("Arbitration Agreement") carefully. It requires you to arbitrate most disputes with Meredith and limits the manner in which you can seek relief from us.
15.1 Applicability of Arbitration Agreement. You agree that any dispute between you and us relating in any way to the Services, our advertising or marketing practices, any Products sold or distributed through the Services, or this Agreement, will be resolved by binding arbitration, rather than in court, except that (1) you may assert claims in small claims court if your claims qualify, so long as the matter remains in such court and advances only on an individual (non-class, non-representative) basis; and (2) you or Meredith may seek equitable relief in court for infringement or other misuse of intellectual property rights (such as trademarks, trade dress, domain names, trade secrets, copyrights, and patents). This Arbitration Agreement shall apply, without limitation, to all claims that arose or were asserted before the Effective Date of this Agreement or any prior version of this Agreement.
IF YOU AGREE TO ARBITRATION WITH MEREDITH, YOU ARE AGREEING IN ADVANCE THAT YOU WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN OR SEEK TO RECOVER MONETARY OR OTHER RELIEF IN ANY LAWSUIT FILED AGAINST MEREDITH ALLEGING CLASS, COLLECTIVE, AND/OR REPRESENTATIVE CLAIMS ON YOUR BEHALF. INSTEAD, BY AGREEING TO ARBITRATION, YOU MAY BRING COVERED CLAIMS AGAINST MEREDITH ONLY IN AN INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION PROCEEDING. IF SUCCESSFUL ON SUCH CLAIMS, YOU COULD BE AWARDED MONEY OR OTHER RELIEF BY AN ARBITRATOR. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT YOU MAY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN DECIDING WHETHER TO ACCEPT THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT.
15.2 Arbitration Rules and Forum. The Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this Arbitration Agreement. To begin an arbitration proceeding, you must send a letter requesting arbitration and describing your claim to John Zieser, General Counsel, Meredith Corporation, 1716 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA 50309. The arbitration will be conducted by JAMS, an established alternative dispute resolution provider. Disputes involving claims and counterclaims with an amount in controversy under $250,000, not inclusive of attorneys' fees and interest, shall be subject to JAMS' most current version of the Streamlined Arbitration Rules and procedures available at http://www.jamsadr.com/rules-streamlined-arbitration/; all other claims shall be subject to JAMS's most current version of the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures, available at http://www.jamsadr.com/rules-comprehensive-arbitration/. JAMS's rules are also available at www.jamsadr.comor by calling JAMS at 800-352-5267. If JAMS is not available to arbitrate, the parties will select an alternative arbitral forum. If the arbitrator finds that you cannot afford to pay JAMS's filing, administrative, hearing and/or other fees and you cannot obtain a waiver from JAMS, Meredith will pay them for you. In addition, Meredith will reimburse all such JAMS' filing, administrative, hearing and/or other fees for claims with an amount in controversy totaling less than $10,000 unless the arbitrator determines the claims are frivolous.
You may choose to have the arbitration conducted by telephone, based on written submissions, or in person in the county where you live or at another mutually agreed location. Any judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction.
15.3 Authority of Arbitrator. The arbitrator, and not any federal, state or local court or agency shall have exclusive authority to resolve any dispute related to the interpretation, applicability, enforceability or formation of this Arbitration Agreement including, but not limited to any claim that all or any part of this Arbitration Agreement is void or voidable. The arbitrator will decide the rights and liabilities, if any, of you and Meredith. The arbitration proceeding will not be consolidated with any other matters or joined with any other proceedings or parties. The arbitrator shall have the authority to grant motions dispositive of all or part of any claim or dispute. The arbitrator shall have the authority to award monetary damages and to grant any non-monetary remedy or relief available to an individual under applicable law, the arbitral forum's rules, and this Agreement (including the Arbitration Agreement). The arbitrator shall issue a written award and statement of decision describing the essential findings and conclusions on which any award (or decision not to render an award) is based, including the calculation of any damages awarded. The arbitrator shall follow the applicable law. The arbitrator has the same authority to award relief on an individual basis that a judge in a court of law would have. The award of the arbitrator is final and binding upon you and us.
15.4 Waiver of Jury Trial. YOU AND MEREDITH HEREBY WAIVE ANY CONSTITUTIONAL AND STATUTORY RIGHTS TO SUE IN COURT (OTHER THAN SMALL CLAIMS COURT AS PERMITTED HEREIN) AND HAVE A TRIAL IN FRONT OF A JUDGE OR A JURY. You and Meredith are instead electing that all covered claims and disputes shall be resolved by arbitration under this Arbitration Agreement, except as specified in section 15.1 above. An arbitrator can award on an individual basis the same damages and relief as a court and must follow this Agreement as a court would. However, there is no judge or jury in arbitration, and court review of an arbitration award is subject to very limited review.
15.5 Waiver of Class or Consolidated Actions. ALL CLAIMS AND DISPUTES WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT MUST BE ARBITRATED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT ON A CLASS, COLLECTIVE OR REPRESENTATIVE BASIS. ONLY INDIVIDUAL RELIEF IS AVAILABLE FOR CLAIMS COVERED BY THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT, AND CLAIMS OF MORE THAN ONE CUSTOMER OR USER CANNOT BE ARBITRATED OR CONSOLIDATED WITH THOSE OF ANY OTHER CUSTOMER OR USER. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, in the event that this section 15.5 is deemed invalid or unenforceable with respect to a particular claim or dispute, neither you nor we shall be entitled to arbitration of such claim or dispute and instead the applicable claim or dispute shall be resolved in a court as set forth in section 16.5.
15.6 30-Day Right to Opt Out. You have the right to opt out of the provisions of this Arbitration Agreement by sending a timely written notice of your decision to opt out to the following address: Meredith Corporation, 1716 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA 50309-3023, Attn: General Counsel or email to firstname.lastname@example.org, within 30 days after first becoming subject to this Arbitration Agreement. Your notice must include your name and address, your Meredith username (if any), the email address you used to set up your Meredith account (if you have one), and a clear statement that you want to opt out of this Arbitration Agreement. If you opt out of this Arbitration Agreement, all other parts of this Agreement will continue to apply to you. Opting out of this Arbitration Agreement has no effect on any other arbitration agreements that you may currently have with us, or may enter into in the future with us.
15.7 Severability. Subject to section 15.5, if any part or parts of this Arbitration Agreement are found under the law to be invalid or unenforceable, then such specific part or parts shall be of no force and effect and shall be severed and the remainder of the Arbitration Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.
15.8 Survival of Agreement. This Arbitration Agreement will survive the termination or expiration of the Agreement or your relationship with Meredith.
15.9 Modification. Notwithstanding any provision in this Agreement to the contrary, we agree that if Meredith makes any future material change to this Arbitration Agreement, it will not apply to any individual claim(s) of which you had already provided notice to Meredith.
16. General Provisions.
16.1 Electronic Communications. The communications between you and Meredith use electronic means, whether you visit the Services or send Meredith e-mails, or whether Meredith posts notices on the Services or communicates with you via e-mail. For contractual purposes, you (1) consent to receive communications from Meredith in an electronic form; and (2) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications and documents that Meredith provides to you electronically will have the same legal effect that such communications or documents would have if they were set forth in "writing." The foregoing sentence does not affect your statutory rights.
16.2 Assignment. This Agreement, and your rights and obligations hereunder, may not be assigned, subcontracted, delegated or otherwise transferred by you without Meredith's prior written consent, and any attempted assignment, subcontract, delegation, or transfer in violation of the foregoing will be null and void.
16.3 Force Majeure. Meredith shall not be liable for any delay or failure to perform resulting from causes outside its reasonable control, including, but not limited to, acts of God, war, terrorism, riots, embargos, acts of civil or military authorities, fire, floods, accidents, strikes or shortages of transportation facilities, fuel, energy, labor or materials.
16.4 Questions, Complaints, Claims. If you have any questions, complaints or claims with respect to the Services, please contact our customer service department using the contact information available on the Services. We will do our best to address your concerns.
16.5 Exclusive Venue. To the extent the parties are permitted under this Agreement to initiate litigation in a court, both you and Meredith agree that all claims and disputes arising out of or relating to this Agreement will be litigated exclusively in the state courts in Polk County, Iowa or federal courts located in the Southern District of Iowa.
16.6 Governing Law. THIS AGREEMENT AND ANY ACTION RELATED THERETO WILL BE GOVERNED AND INTERPRETED BY AND UNDER THE LAWS OF THE STATE OFIOWA, CONSISTENT WITH THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT, WITHOUT GIVING EFFECT TO ANY CONFLICT OF LAW OR OTHER PRINCIPLES THAT PROVIDE FOR THE APPLICATION OF THE LAW OF ANOTHER JURISDICTION. THE UNITED NATIONS CONVENTION ON CONTRACTS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL SALE OF GOODS DOES NOT APPLY TO THIS AGREEMENT.
16.7 Notice. Where Meredith requires that you provide an e-mail address, you are responsible for providing Meredith with your most current e-mail address. In the event that the last e-mail address you provided to Meredith is not valid, or for any reason is not capable of delivering to you any notices required/ permitted by this Agreement, Meredith's dispatch of the e-mail containing such notice will nonetheless constitute effective notice. You may give notice to Meredith at the following address: Meredith Corporation, 1716 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA 50309-3023, Attn: General Counsel. Such notice shall be deemed given when received by Meredith by letter delivered by nationally recognized overnight delivery service or first class postage prepaid mail at the above address.
16.8 Waiver. Any waiver or failure to enforce any provision of this Agreement on one occasion will not be deemed a waiver of any other provision or of such provision on any other occasion.
16.9 Severability. Subject to Section 15.5, if any portion of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that portion shall be construed in a manner to reflect, as nearly as possible, the original intention of the parties, and the remaining portions shall remain in full force and effect.
16.10 Export Control. You may not use, export, import, or transfer the Services except as authorized by U.S. law, the laws of the jurisdiction in which you obtained the Services, and any other applicable laws. In particular, but without limitation, the Services may not be exported or re-exported (a) into any United States embargoed countries, or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce's Denied Person's List or Entity List. By using the Services, you represent and warrant that (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a "terrorist supporting" country and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties. You also will not use the Services for any purpose prohibited by U.S. law.
16.11 Consumer Complaints. In accordance with California Civil Code §1789.3, you may report complaints to the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by contacting them in writing at 400 R Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, or by telephone at (800) 952-5210.
16.12 Entire Agreement. This Agreement is the final, complete and exclusive agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes and merges all prior discussions between the parties with respect to such subject matter.